I’m sharing my story, with all it’s gory details, hoping that it will help someone feel their own strength when coping with chronic illness. It’s taken me twenty years, thousands of dollars, dozens of doctors, and countless hours utilizing my own medical intuition for my health mysteries to be solved.
Here are 5 Truths I’ve learned along my journey:
1. If a doctor tells you that your symptoms are all in your head, that just means he can’t figure it out. He’s not the right doctor for you. Move on. Consult ten different doctors if necessary. Often, this is necessary.
2. Include an integrative doctor on your health care team. Someone who is a progressive thinker, avid learner and orders tests from the most efficient labs. Someone who thinks outside the box.
3. Diet is always important. Food is medicine, or poison. Even if you don’t think you have any food sensitivities, it’s a good idea to get tested if you have a chronic illness. It’s also a good idea to get tested for viruses, bacterial infections, candida infections, nutritional deficiencies, genetic mutations and adrenal insufficiency.
4. Avoid fads. The health care industry loves marketing “new” cures and quick fixes. Ignore the hype. One size does not fit all. Research, research, research.
5. Advocate for your health. There is no one doctor who will know it all, so it’s your job as a patient to be your own boss, and bring your questions and research to the doctor you hire. Yes, it takes time but your health is worth the investment. Read clinical studies, blogger’s firsthand healing experiences, advice from experts in the field of your condition.
Oh and #6. NEVER, EVER GIVE UP.